Every week, Tennis Analytics dives deep into the data, bringing you a stat of the week to help you understand tennis better and become a little smarter.
Stat of the Week: 72%
Team USA was well represented in the 2021 Boy’s Junior Wimbledon Final. Samir Banerjee defeated Victor Lilov, 7-5 6-3 to take the title.
Besides returning well, he won 59% of all second serve points from the quarterfinal on, Banerjee served lights out!
- He made 66% of all first serves and won 72% of those points.
- He then won 53% of all second serve points (56% in the final).
- To make things even worse for his opponents, Banerjee won 74% of all net points.
That is tough to beat!
Point of the Week
As we keep seeing, week after week, a key determinant to winning (or losing) matches revolves around the quality of your first shot – either the serve or the return.
Tracking your efficiency (win percentage) on these is probably one of the easiest stats to track on your own. Simply track 3 elements for each point:
- Server: Who is serving?
- Serve: 1st serve made, 2nd serve made, or double fault
- Point Won: Who won the point?
With that information for each point, you can calculate:
- First serve percentage
- First serve win percentage
- Second serve win percentage
Send us your match, and we will chart across over 30 parameters and get you a detailed statistical report.
Get 15% off your match analysis until tomorrow!
Coupon Code: Wimbledon2021
Photo of the Week
Daria Kasatkina’s forehand.