Every week, Tennis Analytics dives deep into the data, bringing you a stat of the week to help you understand tennis better and become a little smarter.
Stat of the Week: 85%
85% of all points at the 2022 French Open were done within eight shots. Almost 60% were done before either player could hit a 3rd shot.
We looked at 14,395 points from the event and also broke down the performances between match winners and match losers.
As expected, the victor hits a few more winners than their opponents, but the biggest contribution to the outcome was that they hit fewer errors.
Overall, there were 2.2 errors hit for every winner.
Point of the Week
In 2021, 87% of rallies ended with eight shots, with the remaining 13% being 9+ shots. In 2022, the longer rallies increased by 2%.
While we remember the epic, long points, our sport is dominated by short rallies.
Be great at your first two touches.
Photo of the Week
Serena Williams is back. Here’s a look at her serve.