Iga Swiatek won 56% of the 980 points she played at the 2022 US Open. As a baseliner, we would expect that she won by outlasting her opponents from the backcourt.
In fact, it was quite the opposite.
Swiatek won the shorter rallies (57%), but lost the longer ones (47%).
Interesting is the fact that 75% of all Swiatek’s rallies ended within 6 strokes – that is 3 or less per player. On average, Iga came to the net 16x per match and won 73% of these. Not bad for a baseliner.
Over the fortnight, Iga hit more winners than her opponents (+4%), and doubled this margin on the errors count (-8%), for a combined differential of 12%.
Thanks Mike, glad you liked it! Keep an eye out for the post this week!