Every week, Tennis Analytics dives deep into the data, bringing you a stat of the week to help you understand tennis better and become a little smarter.
For April, we have been taking a closer look at the winners and errors from over 1,000 ATP and WTA matches from 2021 and 2022, totaling over 156,000 points.
Stat of the Week: 17%
Like the men, top women on the WTA tour hit fewer winners on return of serve than on any other shot. They also make a lot of return errors.
- Match winners make 7 return errors for each winner (12 for the ATP)
- Match losers make 11 return errors for each winner (18 for ATP)
- All errors account for 72% of points played – winners account for 28%
Point of the Week
You have heard this from us before… The return is the most under-practiced shot in tennis, but arguably one of the most important.
In most workouts the return is overlooked in favor of “live drills”. Unless the point starts with an ace or double fault, you WILL hit a return. HOW you hit it will depend on what you worked on behind the scenes.
- Are you better returning from the deuce or ad court?
- Do you make more errors on forehand or backhand returns?
- Where are your returns landing?
Answer these questions and get all your return numbers with a Player Package.
Photo of the Week
Camila Giorgi’s forehand swing path.
Leave a Reply